Saturday, February 6, 2010

Coco Before Chanel

Today I enjoyed an outing with my girlfriends as we went to the theater to view the French movie, Coco Before Chanel, starring Audrey Tautou. (Who does a stunning job portraying Coco!) Before today I didn't realize that Gabrielle (Coco) Chanel grew up in an orphanage. She was born in the late 1800s, which makes her a little older than my grandmother). But, oh, she was way ahead of her time--or maybe I should say she created through her fashions, a style that lingers with us today. Thanks to Coco, we have our stylin' little black dress, bell bottoms and got rid of corsets! In the movie, her life was not portrayed as a happy one. She was taken advantage of and certainly didn't have many options on how she could survive. It was a man's world. Even though we had to read the English subtitles, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and am impressed by Coco's courage and ambition. She was not pampered socialite kind of designer--oh no, she was a pioneer--one strong woman!

2 comments:

eNJay & B said...

cool. i've heard that's a good movie. i also like the actresses haircut a lot. i based one of my shortest cuts on her once.

Cate said...

mmm--its a cute cut on her, but if you scroll down and look at michael's picture, i think it appears michael's got the same haircut! kinda cute on him, too! : )